TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave, Parent
Experience:  Single parent, with profession, raises model son with ease & pleasure. I offer sound advice.
6999

My sons picture

Customer Question

I sent my kids to an after school program that was located in my neighborhood. I did not have to sign any papers for them to attend. I received a call last week stating that my youngest sons' picture was on a poster a in one of Milwaukee's biggest colleges saying "FACES OF POVERTY    THE AVERAGE AGE OF THE HOMELESS PERSON IS NINE YEARS OF AGE    HELP US HELP HIM    HUNGER CLEANUP 2005". The person who called me said that the posters were out for a while and she started to ask me about my financial status. I never signed a release form for my kids pictures to be taken. When I talked to the director of the program she said that she thought the pictures were going to be used to help promote the program in the school paper. I am wondering do I have legal grounds to sue them even though they are a non for profit organization and if so what type of lawyer do I consult because the lawyer that I talked to said " Well it was probably just a mistake." I want to know where do I go from here?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Hello ,

It sounds to me like you definitely have a case - as I would think what they did was wrong...non-profit or not. Those people break the law also, and should be responsible! You need to hear from our specialist "mysticwave". She has been in this business for 25 years, and is very good at what she does! If anyone can help you...she can! Good Luck, and my prayers are with you! Look for her post.

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I would say that you may have grounds to take legal action. Please know, however, you will be asked if this incident has hurt you and/or your family or has it helped you?  Certainly one can sue as in your case with one not giving permission, but to what extent have you been injured? This is something that the attorney will discuss with you. Is it a mistake, have you asked them to take it down? Has this incident caused you embarrassment?...certainly, this is a matter to discuss with an attorney.Off hand, of my experience, the causes of action you would have against them would be "Violation of Right to Privacy"... "Defamation"... "Mental Anguish".... and to be awarded Punitive Damages. You can consult with a Civil Rights attorney or a Personal Injury attorney, perhaps there may be additional causes of action. If you do have a case, an attorney will be the one to state so accordingly.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

If this information was helpful, please accept.

Thank you - and a personal thank you to specialist, Vickie, for letting you know that I may be able to assist you.

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave