DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

I am healing from a bilateral tibia-fibula fracture, having

Customer Question

I am healing from a bilateral tibia-fibula fracture, having crashed on a dirt bike last year at age 56. That was a year and a half ago. I'm a police officer and need to be able to run, but the left ankle, which was a pilon fracture, has a limited dorsi-flexion range compared to the right ankle, which broke about four inches above the joint. The plate on the front of the left tibia doesn't appear to be much of a problem to increase the range, but there is a fragment of bone on the front of the tibia itself that does seem to be limiting my motion. Will a strong effort on my part to push my heel down to stretch the ankle joint and push the top of my foot bone against that front tibia fragment help cause it to resorb and give me more dorsi-flexion range? Or will I need future surgery to shave it down and remove the plate?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: The surgery was performed at Palomar Hospital by Dr Serge Kaska. He's one of the best in SoCal. Considering there were 32 fragments, I'm know I'm lucky to be walking, but I have been extremely dilligent in my rehab PT as well as weight-lifting for strength and flexibility. No meds other than occasional ibuprofen after a hard workout.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing. I am very physically fit for my age, having completed a SWAT academy at age 51, keeping up with 25 year olds.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  tazechip replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Have you had physical therapy for this?