DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

Looking for a hospital or medical practice that does stem

Customer Question

looking for a hospital or medical practice that does stem cell therapy for arthritic knee pain near Philadelphia. Apparently not covered by insurance yet..found place in Easton PA and Texas. How new is this and what are the stats of success rate.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I was diagnosed with Osteo arthritis past year with a patella joint pop last Christmas. Had one cortisone shot..had a rooster comb shot which helped after. I also have a recurrent baker cyst on back of knee that pops up with aggravation. I am a young active 62 year old who loves to ski and golf and looking to continue doing these things. Do not want a knee replacement or am I a candidate yet. I can do everything for now..but do have constant discomfort and swelling. Ruining my life style .
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, have good clean bill of health other than that.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 20 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 20 days ago.

what is called "stem cell therapy " for knee arthritis is platelet rich plasma knee injections

this is done by doctors at the Rothman Insitute.

https://www.rothmaninstitute.com/specialties/treatments/platelet-rich-plasma-therapy-prp

The procedure involves the use of a patient’s own blood; specifically, a physician takes blood and places in a filtration system that breaks down red blood cells from the platelets that release proteins and other particles involved in the body’s healing process. The remaining substance is highly concentrated with these platelets and, when injected in to the damaged body part, helps foster new soft tissue or bone cell growth.