DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

I had surgery for a torn meniscus (not cause by any injury)

Customer Question

Good afternoon,I had surgery for a torn meniscus (not cause by any injury) about seven years ago; at the same time the surgeon did a Chondroplasty for grade II Chondromalacia, something that was not discussed prior to the surgery, but the doctor said after the surgery that the procedures would delay the onset of arthritis by 15 years.MY primary care doctor thought I rushed too quickly into surgery (he denied the MRI, so I had to get from surgeon since I have PPO; the surgeon said the point of the terror was in an area that would not heal; he removed part of the meniscus; however, I asked the radiologist to tell me what % of my mencius was remaining, and I was told 70%).I did not heal as expected from the surgery. I don't know if normal or not, but I could not fully bend my knee for at least a couple weeks, but did go to physical therapy about a week after surgery which helped the situation. I have had a couple MRI's that showed post-op tears, but my doctor said to the best of my recollection that these were either normal or false readings. After the surgery, my knee would have a clicking sound when raised.The doctor said I could resume jogging, but recommened on soft surfacres; I had an X-ray taken a couple years ago which accordig to the doctor showed that fibrocartilage had filled in nicely and that there was only minimal arthritist. However, I still fell sometimes that the knee is not right, although at other times it is fine, although would still be wary (don't know if need to be) of crouching like a baseball catcher.I have physical therapy today to once an for all to determine the health of my knee. The PT is in my medical group this time and has access to all my MRI's and X-Rays.What would you recommend that I ask the PT, and what should he do or not do for my condition (do not want too make it worse). Thanks!
Category: Orthopedics
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
age 60; prior to surgery was quite active jogging thee times a week, playing basketball, etc., but have not done since. No acute pain in knee, sometimes mild pain 6'1", 180 lbs; ride exercise bike three times a week.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 7 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Urinary retention; occasional lower back pain (have some arthritis there I have been told)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
JUst moving my leg up and down 15-20 times to see if popping (none to negligible), has caused a dull ache in knee
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I leave for my appt in about an hour; a response prior to that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I could get you copies radiologist's impression of MRI's and X-rays for further "new" questions later if that would be of value.

That would be ideal

can you get those for me

I will be on from 8:30 on tonight EST

thanks for this questionplease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)if you have more questions, just reply
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I will get back to you this weekend. Are you an orthopedist by specialty or an MD with orthopedic knowledge? Thank you.

I am an MD that treats orthopaedic issues daily

Thank you for your question

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply