Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

What does the results mean for my Left ankle MRI: mild soft

Customer Question

What does the results mean for my Left ankle MRI: mild soft tissue edema within the sinus Tarsi as can be seen with sinus Tarsi syndrome, largely unchanged. Mild reactive synovitis of the posterior tibialis tendon, largely unchanged.Interval resolution of the focal bone contusions and lateral midfoot and hindfoot.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your question. I am reviewing your question and answer shortly.
I amCustomeran Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
The question appeared late in Orthopaedics category as it had been earlier posted to a wrong category.
I will interpret the findings for you.Please ask if you have any questions thereafter.
The MRI shows swelling in the Sinus tarsi which is not decreased from the previous study.Sinus tarsi is an area lying between the ankle and the heel on the outer side of ankle and several important structures pass through this area into the lower part of foot. Sinus tarsi can get inflamed with an injury in people who have flat feet.MRI also shows inflammation of the covering of the post tibial tendon which is an important tendon to maintain the arch of the foot.This inflammation also seems to be similar to that found in previous study.
The contusions in bones seems to have subsided in the fresh MRI .
Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What does a contusion in bones mean? It also says: There is mild signal
hyperintensity in the region of the critical angle and lateral talar neck. Small posterior tibial tendon sheath effusion
persists.They were saying surgery or something called polo therapy are my last options. For surgery what would be done? Would a person be asleep under anesthesia or awake for the surgery? For polo therapy what would be done?
Contusion of bone means bruising of the bone. It is similar to the bruising which occurs under the skin. Effusion means that a small amount of fluid is present in the sheath covering the tendon.
Signal hyperintensity means that mild edema is present in the areas of bone mentioned in the MRI report.
In prolotherapy saline injections are given in the painful areas as they are supposed to help alleviate the pain.
Surgery should be the last option and alternative therapies including prolo therapy should be tried before surgery.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I mentioned prolotherapy as an option and then surgery. Can you please explain what occurs with both the prolotherapy as well as the surgery? What will occur in both and what does recovery look like? I asked this in my last question. Thank you
Prolo therapy is supposed to stimulate healing and regeneration of the inflamed tissue in the area where it is injected. The hypertonic saline or dextrose solution acts by stimulating the reparative processes of the body .
More than 1 session are usuallyly needed and some amount of Inflammation, discomfort and pain may occur after each injection.
Surgery can either be arthroscopic or open.
Surgery is usually performed under regional anaesthesia rather than general anaesthesia and only the lower limbs are anesthetized. During surgery the inflamed tissue is usually debrided out and repairs of any ligament injuries are carried out. At times ligaments are reconstructed to provide stability to the ankle and subtalar joints.