Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology
54460990

Sharp dull burning pain from left beck down to buttocks

Customer Question

Sharp dull burning pain from left beck down to buttocks radiates through left chest above breast left arm pain and weakness relieved by lying flat muscle relaxers help a little worse by standing long periods or upper body use
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 4 months ago.

I'll be glad to help.

Does the pain start from the buttocks (gluteal region) and radiate towards the knee or toes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Slightly but mostly radiates up

does it always radiate across the chest?

so the typical path is : left side of your back to left buttocks to left chest to left arm?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but upper back and chest are more painful area

This is most likely spasms from your trapezius muscle that has both attachments to your back as well as your cervicals (which can give the impression of chest pain). The lower radiation pattern in the gluteal / buttocks appear as classic piriformis muscle spasm. Were you recently involved in an accident or a trauma to the region?

These are the stretches I would recommend for the trapezius muscle. Even though muscle relaxers have helped, what's more beneficial is NSAIDs (motrin, naproxen) to calm down the inflammation of the nerves as the result of the muscle strain and spams.

Wish you a speedy recovery,

Warm regards.

This is what I recommend for stretching the pririformis muscle.

warm regards.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The pain can be severe at times almost debilitating I've been to ER several times thinking it was my heart with all normal tests no I haven't been in an accident

It is not typical for the true heart pain to start from the buttocks. I'm glad that your cardiac work up has been negative.

Please follow the stretches in the above figures for the piriformis and the trapezius muscle respectively.

wish you a speedy recovery,

warm regards.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It doesn't always start in my buttocks sometimes starts in upper back and affects my left arm??

does it ever occur when you're doing something, such as going up a flight of stairs or running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sometimes what are you suggesting? I've had all heart tests done Cath,stress,echo, you name it and I've had blood work and ekg when the pain is at its worse! This js been an issue for over 9 years???

the most diagnostic testing that you have had to give you reassurances in regards ***** ***** heart, is the heart catherization.

None the testing above however looks at the aorta -- in some people a pain originating from the aorta can present in this fashion. The most common and accurate way of looking at the aorta is a CT angiogram.

If the CT is normal, I would recommend the exercises above to alleviate your symptoms.

Warm regards,

If you're satisfied, please rate the experience and accept the answer so that I can be credited with helping you today.
I will still be available to chat and clarify things even after you have accepted the answer.
Kindest Regards, *****