Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience

Seeing an orthopedic surgeon this Monday. In 2013 injured

Customer Question

Seeing an orthopedic surgeon this Monday. In 2013 injured shoulder and MRI showed 2 tears. Reinsured this year not sure what MRI show but radiologist suggested consult this time to orthopedic surgeon. What else by examination on Monday with the orthopedic surgeon will make him highly recommend shoulder surgery for me if MRI isn't clear or doesn't indicate need.What things on examination by the orthopedic surgeon will show that he will definetly recommend shoulder surgery.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 days ago.
HelloI amCustomeran Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I am reviewing your question and I would answer in detail after some time.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 days ago.
The decision to operate on your shoulder would depend upon the information gleaned from your clinical examination as well as MRI findings.
Your doctor would consider both before making the decision regarding going in for surgery and the type of surgery required.
Having said that there are certain clinical findings which would indicate necessity for surgical intervention. These would include , one significant pain on movement and especially at rest.Two, lack of active abduction at the shoulder joint. Lack of active abduction in presence of free passive abduction indicates that the rotator cuff is completely torn. Lack of active abduction means that you are not able to lift your shoulder by yourself without support.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The shoulder that is affected is my left and I tend to like to sleep on my left side but when I try I can feel pain in my left shoulder just be sleeping on my left side. I have been doing physical therapy since recommended which didn't make sense before seeing orthopedic. Since starting physical therapy pain got worse off. And just about on every movement can feel a popping sensation and like tearing sensation.And my career or job is that I am a Certified Personal Trainer so shouldn't I be expected for that type of career be sure I have a well operating both shoulders so I can demonstrate movements if needed.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 days ago.
These symptoms may not necessarily be due to rotator cuff tears.
Other pathological conditions like impeachment syndrome may also be responsible.
In case of severe impingement surgical treatment maybe needed.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 days ago.
You are welcome to ask if you have any more questions.If done do remember to rate my answer by clicking on stars at the top of page. We are paid for our work and time only when you click on 4-5 stars.
The question remains open for you and you can always come back if you want to know anything about the topic.