Mohammad Ashori
Mohammad Ashori,
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician at Kaiser Permanente

May I please speak with a doctor that specifically has

Customer Question

Hello!May I please speak with a doctor that specifically has experience + expertise + exceptional education, knowledge and understanding of Fibromyalgia...the diagnosis of, treating patients with, and all additional information surrounding fibromyalgia with regard to risk factors associated with and/or that (can) lead to...etc?Thank you!
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I apologize because I originally submitted this question through my just answer app, and I am interested in speaking with a doctor or a specialist within pain management, physiatry, rheumatology etc, but I noticed that it appears that I submitted my question to a medical lawyer? So I submitted my question again and I am hoping that I have directed it correctly towards these specified specialties. Thanks!
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 18 days ago.

Hi Dr. Ashori here, what is your question in particular, I am happy to help you regarding fibromyalgia as I deal with it quite a bit in my practice.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you Dr. Ashori! As you know, fibromyalgia and other related pain syndromes and diagnoses aren't cookie cutter medical conditions, which is the same for my question(s), so I appreciate you hanging in her with me!I am 34 year (and 3 day!) old woman with a long 20+ Your history with orthopedic related injuries, surgeries and subsequent complications that have lead to chronic pain issues and all of that good stuff that accompany pain... Depression anxiety sleep problems etc. and I have recently become more educated on fibromyalgia and it seems to me that basically all diagnostic criteria involved with a diagnosis are things that I struggle with and experience daily and pretty severely
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I( if it is all right with you to continue chatting just as we are rather than speaking over the phone, that would work best for me because currently I am using my iPad as my computer/phone because I am waiting right now on my replacement iPhone after my 4 year old accidentally dropped it!)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I actually have an appointment with my pain management doctor, a physiatry list that I have started seeing within the past four months or so, and I am trying to prepare as much as I can with questions and an effective way to communicate some of my concerns and basically how to address this

Sure, this is fine.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
First I guess I would like to ask for your recommendation - in your opinion with personal experience....what you would appreciate and look for if I were your patient - on how to bring this up and communicate those concerns and revelations that have recently really made me think and question a true and solid possibility for fibromyalgia being part of (if not the umbrella term) for what's going on with me. I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue and chronic pain syndrome in addition to SI joint and facet problems, bursitis, several knee related issues (chonromilagia, post surgical points and sources of other pain) etc

So I take it you are asking how I would diagnose FM? Or more specifically how I would bring it up to the patient?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
as well as if a patient were the one to bring it up? We are still in the phase where we continue to do testing and exams so he can personally come to conclusions based on our work together rather than what the infinite number of other doctors have suggested.

Oh sure, I understand.

I'm quite receptive to FM as a diagnosis, and frankly many times my patients make the diagnosis after an exhaustive testing, multiple diagnosis, worsening pain and depression.

My patient will often say "I was thinking that maybe FM is one of the causes of the various symptoms I have. I know there isn't a particular test to test for it but do you think it's possible? What's the best way to manage it if that's the cause for my symptoms?"

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Wow...that exactly describes my journey....I truly am not exaggerating when I say that the pain and other symptoms that I experience have made me start a very determined crusade to figure out and learn as much as I can about possibilities and what is going on in my body and my brain and I have done endless's research and reading and looking into anything and everything related to things that my body is telling me and I have been working with doctors for the past 10 years consistently and constantly in an effort to not stop trying to somehow gain some sort of quality of life back.So, I am a very emotional talker and communicator and I don't do a great job stating things clearly and concisely when I am very emotionally invested in the topic so I would really appreciate suggestions on how to even actually word things and things that you think are important or necessary to include and express

I think not being judgmental, offering it as a suggestion knowing that it might get shut down by the doctor.

Trying to view it as a possibility and not a definitive diagnosis.

Also, even if you have a diagnosis such as FM it doesn't mean you have a cure, it's still important to live your life to the fullest but know that you are getting closer to getting the quality of your life back.

Offering FM as a possibility to the doctor and having them explain to you why it is or it isn't a possible diagnosis would be helpful. Keep an open mind that he/she may want or need to refer you to a specialist.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This will be the first time ever that assert myself with something like this because after all these years, day after day, of working with doctors and other professionals - hearing that there isn't anything screaming out as a clear and definitive reason that can encompass everything that my body is doing and telling me - and not only do I respect and admire those of you doctors so much but I also know you guys are completely human and sometimes can't give a definite answer and maybe there isn't anything like that so I have kind of passively continued with a very aggressive and dedicated pursuit to continue my crusade looking for any help or any answers. So this is different for me and very important that I do an effective job.And I have to say that I completely understand that there isn't a cure or fix for fibromyalgia now my current condition(s) and I am not looking for anything like that anyways. I'm the type of person that needs as much knowledge and understand and I possibly can have in order to do what I can do on my end as effectively as possible.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks you for that last response and can you tell me what specialists aside from a rheumatologist, if any, might be a next or supplemental step?

The most important thing you can do is present the information and your opinion to the doctor and hope to have an open and meaningful conversation about it.

You know that you will be emotional about it, that's okay. Take your time and do it with composure, a good doctor will listen.

I think a rheumatologist or pain specialist could be a good first step.

Some doctors specialize in FM even though they are internists or family medicine.

I have heard of great naturopathic doctors who do a great job treating FM.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your personal opinion within the work that you have done, what do you rely on most and/or collectively that you feel indicates a fibromyalgia diagnosis? I know that it can pretty much be a diagnosis of exclusion and there is no perfect test our way to determine fibromyalgia and therefore there is probably a lot of wiggle room and personal opinion regarding the different tests exams and criteria that go into making such a diagnosis
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Really just out of curiosity

I usually go based on the exam and history, more history than exam.

The exam is best done during multiple visits and the increased pain perception with light touch and even the trigger sites and pain sites are quite diagnostic.

The history is helpful because patients with FM will always have worsening symptoms when they are under a lot of stress, having a cold or having lack of sleep. Those are common flares of FM.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you so much for your time and help...I truly appreciate it! I'll let you go help someone else now! THANK YOU!

You are sweet.

Best of luck, crossing my fingers for you.

If it was helpful you can click on "Rating" to complete this transaction.

Thank you.

Dr Ashori