khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields for many years.

I walked awkward down some steps and I am left with bad pain

Customer Question

Hi I walked awkward down some steps and I am left with bad pain when I walk on the inside of my ankle just below the bumpy bone. The pain is a dull pain all the time and then every so often a sharp pain in that area. It is also tender to touch. Is there anything I can do? And so I need to see someone?Many thanksI did ask last night but I think the doctor answering may not be about now.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  khagihara replied 21 days ago.

How many steps can you walk bearing weight on the foot? Any skin change?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can walk but am putting the pressure on the outside of my foot, if I walk properly on the only a couple of steps.
Expert:  khagihara replied 21 days ago.

It doesn't seem to be bone fracture if you can walk four steps. It seems to be ankle sprain (injury to the lateral ligaments of the ankle).

For immediate self-care of an ankle sprain, try the R.I.C.E. approach:

• Rest. Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort.
  • Ice. Use an ice pack or slush bath immediately for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat every two to three hours while you're awake. If you have vascular disease, diabetes or decreased sensation, talk with your doctor before applying ice.
  • Compression. To help stop swelling, compress the ankle with an elastic bandage until the swelling stops. Don't hinder circulation by wrapping too tightly. Begin wrapping at the end farthest from your heart.
  • Elevation. To reduce swelling, elevate your ankle above the level of your heart, especially at night. Gravity helps reduce swelling by draining excess fluid.

You may take over-the-counter pain medication. If you have symptoms that persist for more than six to eight weeks, you should see your doctor to have MRI.