Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

Orthopedic doctor I was injured on June 11, I was diagnosed

Customer Question

Orthopedic doctor
I was injured on June 11 , I was diagnosed August 2 with a stress fracture in the sacrum
My injury was caused due to running long distance , I did a bone density test and it showed that I had osteopenia on the lumbar of
The spine but my hip was fine
The question I have for you is that for
This injury they said walk as needed so only the bathroom and kitchen on October 7 they said I can start walking only ten minutes twice a day
What do I do the rest of the day?
I can't sit because my but tucks bursts after ten minutes of sitting and I am not allowed to walk
Whe I do walk after ten minutes I do feel pain in my buttocks and it goes down my leg so I put ice and hear and then it's gone
Am I doing the right thing ? I tried swimming but I think the steps going up the pool started to hurt me so I stopped
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I amCustomerWelcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you , I appreciate it but thought am orthopedic would answer my question
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about your issues ...

As you have had stress fracture in sacrum , for pain relief , yes you can ice .

As far as management of Sacral stress fracture is concerned first step is pain management , A variety of analgesics that act centrally, such as paracetamol and opioids, are available in clinical practice and they should be used until pain resolves.

As you have osteopenis ( Low bone cells ) so for that you can ask your dr for Bisphosphonate injection to strengthen bone .

Along with calcium and Vitamin D .

As far as your question of early mobilization is concerned , An important question that arises with sacral stress fractures is whether to permit weight bearing, or to treat patients with bed rest. Conservative management usually forces patients to stay in bed for 3–6 months, which may increase to a year in the case of poor bone healing. The risks of such a long immobilization are high and they may result in accelerated loss of bone mineral density, increased incidence of deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolus, or loss of muscle strength . In order to avoid or minimize these adverse effects, a rapid return to an active life style with an early mobilization for stable sacral stress fractures which don’t require surgical intervention should be recommended. The advantage of an early rehabilitation is the stimulant effect of weight-bearing and muscle tension on osteoblastic activity, which results in bone formation, whereas a prolonged bed rest may cause unrestrained osteoclastic mediated bone resorption.

You can start gradually your daily work , but avoid lifting heavy weight , excessive stress and start medication please as I mentioned .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

If you have further quires let me know please .

Don't forget to click on good rating , as I will be paid only when you rate my answer .

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

Are you there ...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question to you is that when I feel the pain that wheni walk start to come
On my buttucks do I stop ? And why the pain whenI get up from bed ? I have not started walking yet?
The pain is not intolerable I just put ice and it's better , I do t want to take antiflamatories anymore I took them for 30 for days whe I was not aware I had this fracure
I went to see my doctor I. June 27 orthopedic and he did not want rondo an MRI but loaded me with antiflamatories , I did blood work check my kidneys and it was high
So I only take Motrin whe I have sever pain but just because I feel some pain that goes away with ice I am okay
I have a left sacral fracure I. The aka area is that not part of the hip or is it the lumbar spine
They did do a bone density on both my hip and lumbar they diagnosed osteopenia on lumbar spine but the bone density on my left hip was normal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent a reply ro de answer and did not get a respond
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay let me ask the question again I recieved the trusts of my bone density test and the results were osteopenia on the lumbar spine and the and the bone demsriy of the left hip was normal
The MRI showed that I had a left sacral fracture so does this mean that I don't have to worry about this injury duebtobospenia since its at the hip it was Norma ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also if I walk to much won't it prevent the. Fracure from healing , but if I don't walk it also will prevent it from healing this is why I am so confused please help I don't know wak r to do anymore that is why I reading out to you
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

This is because walking just put stress over hip and hip bones thats why you feel pain , and sometime sacral issue , coincide with back issues , so possibility of pinched nerve should also be ruled out .

Regards .