Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I am told that with a reverse shoulder replacement you

Customer Question

I am told that with a reverse shoulder replacement you should never lift more than 5 lb. with effect arm is that true
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: excellent 63 years old need right reverse shoulder replacement procedure. I have seen 3 Orthopedic surgeons and all concur on need for replacement.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: micro back surgery 3 year ago excellent result
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 months ago.

Yes that is true because of the less robust muscular attachments holding the shoulder in place. That is in contrast to the traditional replacement where the entire rotator cuff is holding the shoulder in place.

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you did thank you

glad to help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you strength the muscle to increase the strengh of the joint

Yes you most definitely can but try to at least start learning exercises from a certified physical therapist. A normal trainer at a gym will not understand the nuances of your condition. When the physical therapist has educated you as to specific home exercises you can continue those and enjoy a more stable shoulder, however still with those weight limitations.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no matter how strong I make the muscle the 5 lb. weight restriction will remain. Is that correct

Yes that is correct. But by strenthening your muscle, if you ever do get into a situation where your shoulder is stressed it would be less likely to dislocate.

Does that answer your question to satisfaction? I want to make sure you're happy with our discussion.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just one more question Can you swim with a reverse shoulder I do a lot of scuba diving

Yes but be careful lifting yourself out of the water and lifting your gear on the boat. You will need someone to help you with that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Dr you have been very help and changed my opinion of the organization
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Again yes you did Thank you

Thanks have a good day!