DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

1 year and half ago "april 2015" i started to have painful

Customer Question

hello1 year and half ago "april 2015" i started to have painful spasms and cramps in my upper back. since then i done many tests to know what exactly do i suffer from.in last 2 years or maybe even more i became a laptop addict person playing games and surfing the net on laptop for many hrs daily. and to make things worst i used to
to sit down with laptop on the ground like an arabic sitting "im from kuwait" and also i LEAN to my right side when playing the laptop.doctors says i have a grade 1 cervico thoracic scoliosis. its a functional scoliosis caused by i think muscle imbalance cause i spent many times leaning on my right side
while playing the laptop games.i will send u now many documents and reports. these documents are done last january.since last march i joined the gym and had my own personal trainer and things got better but NOT done yet. my routine in gym is the followng:- 30 mins treadmill
- 10 mins elliptical
- 15 mins dowing upper back weight lifting using free weights and execise machinesi feel im getting better but very slowly BUT....i really feel there is something missing...i get better VERY SLOWLY but i feel there is something i needed to do
beside the gym excersies.2 months ago i went to a physiotherapy doctor and he examined my body and said u have scoliosis but its a very low scoliosis "lower than 10 degrees or even 5 degrees"
also my personal trainer says my scoliosis and muscle imbalance isnt a big one.i trully believe there is something very tiny i needed to do with the gym exercises BUT dont know what is it...and i have a greate feeling its related to physical
therapy.my current problem is...THE CHAIR...when i sit 2-4 hrs on the chair my left side of the upper back becomes tight and stiff and i starts to feel pain and if i did the sitting next days it starts to get severe
but then i rest for 7-10 days the pain and strain is gone.before this the walking used to hurt me but after joining the gym now walking is fine...right now its only the chair position thats hurts me. but the personal trainer
says ur muscles arent weak like before....i even feel my back muscles are strong..but whats make my back still get pain when i sit down??i checked if i had disc and all doctors says no u dont have....i only feel numbness when my upper back scoliosis spot get painful...there is something missing in my treatment please helpP.S : THIS IS THE SEQUENCE I GET WHEN I SIT TOO LONG ON CHAIR :- my left upper back muscle "paraspinal muscle" gets tightness and stiff
- my back starts to hurt me and starts to feel strained
- the pain and paraspinal tightness KINDA pressure on my middle spine "i think" thats what causing the pain
- then i decide to rest for 7-10 days and then this strain heals
- same thing happens again if i decided to sit on chair again "even for only 2 hrs and i take rest from chair every 30 mins"
Category: Orthopedics
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sending also my pictures of my body and a medical report with some x ray
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

thank you for all of that information.

I hope you have stopped sitting on the ground bent over playing on your laptop.

there are physical therapy and yoga exercises and stretches which can help your posture and your back

you need to cut your calories and continue to exercise to burn more calories and loose weight as well

you should see a physical therapist and a yoga instructor as well

there are stretches and poses in yoga which can help improve your posture and improve your spine alignment and improve your back muscle strength and help decrease these painful spasms and cramps.

is your doctor willing to send you to see a physical therapist to talk about your back pain issues.

are you willing to try yoga and stretching classes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to know first why im still having this issue in my upper back though i done months of gym cardio training and weight lifting ? I thought this was juust weak muscles and needed strengthening.Whats the thing that i didnt work on ?

you still need to work more on dieting and cutting calories and loosing weight

your abdominal weight will put even more pressure and strain on your back.

you also need to work on your back flexibility as well.

in yoga they have the cobra stretch which has you on the ground on your belly and pushing up with your arms to help stretch your back back wards

this helps strengthen your back muscles and helps your spine stretch back the other way

it can sometimes take more than just months to change our body shape and improve strengthen and flexibility as well

keep at it and your back will get better.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im not overweight mr.david...

ok.

but you may still benefit from physical therapy and different stretching exercises that you haven't done so far

are your upper back spasms getting better? or still the same?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If u dont mind dr.david i wish for u to forward this question to doctor sawheny. He is my last doctor i talked to and i chose him when i posted this question.Cheers

I can't forward it to him, but I can opt out to let another doctor help you.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 months ago.

Would you like me to help you out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
waiting for dr.sawheny
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 3 months ago.

I would like to help

he is not online

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi dr phil im looking for an orthopedic

I haven't seen any in days

I'm sure I can help

wanna give it a go?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok dr. Phil

Okay. Good!

What questions specifically remain for you

I see that some might have been answered?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
noim just wondering whats the missing link and thing that i still didnt do. i went to the gym and done cardio and weight lifting for my upper back for last few months and my back is stronger. it was a weak back before.in the past i couldnt walk alot but after gym now i can - solved 1 of the main problems i had because of scoliosis.but..i thought that cardio and weight lifting is enough to fix my scoliosis. its a very minor scoliosis under 10-5 degrees as the physio-doctor who examined my back said. but it still causes my upper left paraspinal muscle to always be in tight mode which makes my cervico-thoracic part of my left paraspinal muscle be prone to strain and tiredness fastif i set down on chair for 2 hours "even with taking break from setting every 30 mins".there must be something SMALL and even SILLY that i forgot to do with doing gym cardio and weight lifting..i sent some files and pictures for u to examin above BUT THESE pictures and report are done in JANUARY way before i joined the gym. im now far better and my left uneven shoulder got down little but still has 5 degrees or lower than 10 degrees left.its a postural scoliosis caused by muscle imbalance because of my addiction to laptop laying on my right shoulder why playing games and surfing the internet. i ofcourse stopped that habit now

Have you done anything for core strength?

core is the key and

I'm not talking situps

I'm talking intense core strength

That is the only way to truly stabilize the spine and correct this

Do you want to know the best core workout there is?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have my own personal trainer and he told me we are already been strengthening the core muscles from the start with treadmill and elliptical.personal trainer examines me and told me core muscles are fine...i just have a minor scoliosis
the physio doctor examined me and said same thing ur whole bones are fine "took a whole body xray" and said only thing is there is the spine is pulled to the right side by my upper right muscles "muscle imbalance" because of the long time bending right side = postural scoliosis caused by muscle imbalance.doctor said the 2 muscles one each side are pulling the spine the left side is pulling the spine and making it misaligned and the left side is trying to re-positioning it to the original alignment which causes "compensation" which makes my left cervical thoracic paraspinal muscle tight all the time.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i ment the right side is pulling the spine and left is trying to correct it = compensation

I understand but even personal trainers don't know the essence of the core strength in a lot of cases

I have done an ironman triathlon if that helps my credibility with you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
by the way the personal trainer gave me 3 exercises i should do daily at home 3 times per day but i never do them more than 3 days.they are scoliosis correcting exercises ..could this be it?..i honestly thought they are useless

Yes, absolutely they could be

especially if you feel they don't work

you seem to have more insight than 99% of patients into your own body

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
especially if you feel they don't work ? didnt get that sorry lol

No problem

I simply meant if you feel the exercises aren't working then they definiteyl aren't

and could be doing harm

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how long it take for scoliosis to get fixed with correction exercises?i know it wont fix instantly and it takes timehow long on average?

usually several months at least

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

if you have more questions, just reply