Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I have a situation where i am unable to exercise without

Customer Question

I have a situation where i am unable to exercise without pain due to low back pain diagnosed after an mri as being caused by
scoliosis with spinal stenosis, particularly L4-5 and L2-3, discogenic at L2-3. L 1-2 shows no focal disc protrusion, spinal stenois or foraminal stenosis. I want to lose weight, and am following a low calorie diet, but not reducing . I was wondering if I started swimming for exercise if that would be a good way to burn calories without injuring my back possibly, and and I used to swim a great deal, so that part not a problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Swimming is an excellent exercise for those with low back pain. Our weight submerged is only about 10% of what it is on dry land so one can burn a lot of calories with much less wear and tear on the spine. That said, you need to work with a physical therapist who specializes in aquatic therapy for low back pain. You wouldn't want to do any exercises that added stress to the spine as it could make the stenosis worse.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The current situation is I am 33, I am 5'6", and my weight is 160 lbs, and my goal is to be 135 lbs, and I have been ingesting approximately 1500 calories , part of which is from beer. I have been doing this for approximately one year, and have seen no weight loss. That is why I have considered returning to swimming, due to having hardly any physical activities, because of my back problem. Is the goat weight listed ( 135) a realistic one, for someone my age? If it is , presuming , If I stick to my same amount of caloric intake, how long should it take to reach my goal, and please feel free to refer me to someone specializing, in weight loss, if its out of your area of experience.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Weight loss, like weight gain, is incremental. You should set a series of realistic goals, rather than one large, unattainable one. So for example you should set a goal of 150# ***** the end of the year. This is attainable and will encourage you should you meet it. Then, you can reassess how you feel and how easy (or difficult) it was to get there. You might then want to shoot for 145# ***** reassess.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I made a typo error on the amount of calories I am currently consuming. The figure is actually 750 a day, or less.. Can I lose these goal pounds in two months, maintaining my same activity level, by lowering my caloric intake,and, if I choose to go swimming for faster results ( i.e. doing laps for example) can I do it on my own,( considering my back problems previously mentioned) without the supervision of a physical therapist?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

You could do it on your own, of course. Keep in mind that the average woman needs to eat about 2000 calories per day to maintain, and 1500 calories per day to lose one pound of weight per week, on average. So you might be able to lose 8# ***** the next 2 months, getting down to about 152#. If you go below 1500 calories per day you run some risk of malnutrition. Most women will lose weight faster on a 1200 calorie diet, but this is really the lowest you can go while still getting all the nutrients you need.