Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I"m 6 months out of IM nail surgery to fix a broken right

Customer Question

I"m 6 months out of IM nail surgery to fix a broken right tip/fib. I also have a broken sacrum and had the same injury on the left leg about 5 years ago. I have since had the hardware removed from the left leg because of pain. I am in constant pain...is this normal? or just a product of all the trauma my legs have experienced?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and i will help with your query.While some dull ache /pain may remain in the injured area off and on,it should not be there constantly.It would be prudent to have a review done by your PCP and Surgeon/Orthopaedic Surgeon who can examine you and investigate you to pin[point the cause.Unless you are overusing the leg by long walks or running regularly,such pain should not be there.You may need to see your Orthopaedic Surgeon again if the pain is not settling down.Losing weight if overweight and exercising regularly may help reduce the pain .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been referred to a pain specialist after consulting my ortho surgeon. Is that the best course of action? I'm in the USA btw. Where are you located?

I am currently practising in India.Yes that would be the right approach,since there is no orthopaedic problem,perhaps the pain specialist will be able to identify the cause of the pain and help rectify matters.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh India! We have many many qualified docs here in America from India. Thank you for your help! It's funny I'd trust an Indian doc over a American doc any day! Thank you!