Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Internal knee bleeding yrs after replacement. What can I do

Customer Question

Internal knee bleeding yrs after replacement . What can I do short term
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have pain in the joint? Any bruising over the skin? Any fever? Restriction of movement? Any other medical conditions or medications that you might be on?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Now if you are truly bleeding inside the knee joint, that is NOT a normal phenomenon. The first thing to do would be to determine as to why you are bleeding inside the knee joint, if there is no history of trauma then it is likely the bleeding is due to a clotting disorder. this could due to a problem in the platelets or even with the clotting cascade. The first step here would be to get a CBC and PT/APTT/INR test done which would give us more information about this process. Secondly an ultrasound is also necessary here as well.

Now i hope you have had these things done and if not, these should be done ASAP, a MRI would also be necessary here.Now blood inside the joint is a serious thing, and in most cases the initial treatment is conservative. This means that you would have to be on bed rest for the next few weeks, splinting may be necessary as well as avoiding things which could worsen the bleeding such as OTC motrin or aleve as well as drugs like aspirin. In addition you should keep the affected leg as elevated as possible, avoid trauma to the knee and also avoid putting weight on it. But apart from these simple things nothing else can be done. The best solution would be to go for an arthroscopy to see where you are actually bleeding from inside the joint (if the blood tests are normal), this also has the benefit of draining the joint of the excess blood which can get infected if left inside.

I would suggest that your proceed with the bed rest but do get the MRI and arthroscopy done ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/