Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.
20638885

I have mild scoliosis of thorasic to the right. I throw

Customer Question

I have mild scoliosis of thorasic to the right. I throw lefty. Whenever i have a baseball catch My neck and upper back get stiff/sore for a week. If i were to throw righty instead of lefty would i get less stiff/sore after?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

You are right in thinking so.I will explain the biomechanics behind this.

If you are bending towards right and throwing with left the center of gravity moves far towards right when you throw.This puts more stress on the neck tissues and cervical spine.

That probably explains the stiffness in upper back and neck.

If you can throw with right it would be easier for the body to maintain the center of gravity near the body and cause less strain on neck muscles and cervical spine leading to alleviation of your symptoms.

This is my initial reply.

Please reply for any clarification.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks and i've read that a spine that curves to the right also has a twist that faces outward towards the right as well, is that correct? If so that would further explaik why switching to throw righty would be easier for me, because the spine wouldnt be twisting itself further like in the case of throwing lefty and twosting my body right... ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You never went in depth on this and your answer is unsatisfactory at the moment
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 4 months ago.

As I have mentioned that was only my initial reply and was never meant to be the final answer.

The format allows us back and forth until all your queries are answered.

I am offline at the time you replied to my initial answer and that is the reason for delay in replying.

Vertebral rotation would not be playing much role in your symptoms as the maximum rotation is at the apex of curve.Apex of curve would be in thoracic spine which is fixed by complete rib cage and would not have minimal dynamic rotation if any ( dynamic =during the throw) ,that is why you do not have any pain at that area.The cervical spine vertebrae are not rotated and therefore rotation during the throw would not be abnormal at cervical spine.

You are welcome to ask any further questions till you are satisfied.I will answer all your questions and go into the depth required by you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see, but can yoi also explain your initial response as wellThis one:
"If you are bending towards right and throwing with left the center of gravity moves far towards right when you throw.This puts more stress on the neck tissues and cervical spine.That probably explains the stiffness in upper back and neck.If you can throw with right it would be easier for the body to maintain the center of gravity near the body and cause less strain on neck muscles and cervical spine leading to alleviation of your symptoms."
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 4 months ago.

I will try to explain this.Please let me know what exactly would you like to know in detail after this.

Our body tries to maintain the center of gravity at all times because if center of gravity moves too much on one side from center we are likely to fall.

So when we throw with left upper limb our upper body tends to move towards right and the muscles and cervical and upper dorsal spinal column work to maintain the center of gravity near center.This happens without our realizing it as our brain receives inputs from joints and tissues regarding positioning and orders different muscles to act to maintain balance.

If one is already tilted towards right the tendency for center of gravity to move further to the right increases and to counteract that tendency muscles and tissues have to work that much harder and there is greater stress on the bony skeleton and related tissues as well.