Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

Sometime last year when I did pullups, I felt a sharp,

Customer Question

Sometime last year when I did pullups, I felt a sharp, stinging pain in my upper right back. It seemed to only happen whenever I worked up - especially doing pullups so I kind of ignored it as it usually went away after awhile.Lately, this stinging pain has been on going and made worse not only whenever I work out, but also when I sit down and type. I noticed the pain still in my upper right back. But it seems to be affecting the movement of my shoulders and cause stinging pain in my neck from time to time. The severity of this pain can be painful, but most times its like a "sting" or "shock" feeling.I do sit and work from a computer for long periods of time. And now whenever I sit, I feel this pain in my upper back. Not only that, I feel a lot of weakness in my right hand and arm. I can still do stuff, but it generally feels weaker to do things as I feel my hands and arm gets "tired" after physical activity. It's more challenging to move my fingers and wrist around compared to my left. It's worth noting my right hand and arm is my dominant side as well.What could causing my upper back pain? Would this likely affect my neck and shoulder regions? How about my hand and arm? Is it also normal to have your muscle shake when uncontracting a flexed muscle (for example: if I flex my bicep and lower and relax my arm, it "shakes" without pain)?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

I understand your concern

Firstly, sorry for late reply, I was busy with an offline patient.

Now, Did you meet a doc about this before?

Any investigations like MRI done on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No not until recently. I am exploring physical therapy (appointment next week) and treating some anxiety.My concern at the time was more of ALS. My mother was recently diagnosed and I noticed these symptoms moreso since then (early June 2016). I have a lot of symptoms like body wide twitching. Sometimes it comes and goes, but my upper back pain and right side weakness has been pretty constant.I did not have an MRI. I did have an X-ray of my spine (only ddd in l5-s1), normal blood tests, and EMG/NCV in late June on my legs and right arm (normal). So to your question, no - no MRI done.I feel my right side is getting weaker and it tires a little more easily than the left. I am attacking my pictures of my back from a week ago. Any further thoughts on this?

I will see and get back

Hi, are you using any medications now?

I suggest you the following

1. Continue Physical therapy, I have seen many patients improve a lot after Physical therapy

2. Are you using any medications for anxiety? If not I suggest use antidepressants in milder dose, daily one, these can control the nerve pain and twiches, the weakness can improve sometimes, consult a neurologist for this purpose. He will prescribe you the right drug.

3. Get an MRI Brain and cervical +thoracic spine once to see if any nerve compression is the cause of your pain. This is not an Emergency investigation. But I suggest you get it done once anytime sooner.

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, the only way we experts are compensated for answering you

Follow up questions can be asked after the positive rating

You can get back to me any time here, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I do not take any medications at the moment with the exception of allergy medicine and omeprazole.So what could be causing these symptoms? Are they related - upper back and hand?What are your thoughts on my pictures?What about when my muscle shakes whenever I uncontract my muscle?

Hi

This can be due to nerve compression causing upper back and hand symptoms

I suggest ccervical/Thoracic spine MIT

Muscle twitches can be related or it can be due to any mineral deficiencies

Take a multivitamin supplement which includes all minerals for a month

Please click on 5stars at the top right corner of the page

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for reply and suggestion. I still would appreciate some insight on my pictures of my back. Is this atrophy or typical?Also, what about muscle tremors when I relax my arm, leg, etc after flexing? I understand twitches can be normal and I get them at rest. Bt what about when I move the muscle?
I don't see any atrophy in the pics
Do you get muscle tremors always when you relax or is it occasional?
This needs neurological examination. Even if you go to neurologist by person, he will order investigations like what I suggested and then treat you accordingly
Are you overdoing any exercise or physical therapy, if so i suggest few days of mild exercise and rest to see if symptoms improve
In between please check Vit D, Vit B12, and calcium levels checked
Hope this helps
You can ask me any questions after the positive rating even, and I 'll be pleased to answer. Have no doubts on it. Please leave a positive rating, any bonus is appreciated