DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
53992458

I had a 4th knee removed 6/15..it was placed 7/14 for

Customer Question

I had a 4th knee removed 6/15..it was placed 7/14 for infection but I wasn't treated as such. This time abx spacers were used. A month later after only toe touch the pain in my thigh escalated. Taken to ER by EMS...results..my femur from distal end up to mid shaft broke in multiple pieces. Bone is missing on the outer lateral aspect of the mid femur. Last xray in June showed it still has not healed. In. 1/16...I was in my w/c and met a change in pavement going down hill and was vaulted to the ground. I could not put any weight on my right due to severe pain..we to ER...outcome..spiral fx of mid tibia just below the prosthesis down to ankle. Broke fibula off at the ankle. Last xray showed non union of tibia fx. Of curse all of this is on my right leg. My femoral head has avascular necrosis also. Ct showed fem head worse. My question is...I have homocystenemia...genetic in nature. Could this delayed healing and the deterioration of the femur head be caused by occluded vessels. I have a very strong pedal pulse but my foot turns purple when in a dependent position. I am still not walking. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I am an RN and this is very strange and concerning to me. Thank you. Lynn
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

do you have too much homocysteine in your system

homocysteine is needed for wound repair.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/531998_1?pa=C8irC7rtIQba6W10NV3i%2F2QBzK3eYTZO2QWkb6ANbjjPrRGm4PGbRPIU6I%2FjPlCyX8MwC0EECwzp432Skuf9qw%3D%3D

yes this could be affecting your ability to heal

how old are you? age can affect healing

drinking soda can leach calcium out of your bones as well and make them more brittle.

this has been your 4th knee replacement surgery?