Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a type 2 SLAP repair 3/15/16. At work Thursday, I

Customer Question

I had a type 2 SLAP repair 3/15/16. At work Thursday, I lifted a full 5 gallon tea urn and felt a pop then extreme pain down my bicep and under my arm pit. Could I have dislodged an anchor, or retorn my labium in a different place. It has been constant pain since Thursday.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Yes there is swelling, even some bruising. Nothing makes it better. I have been icing and using my tens unit, but with little relief. When I lifted it, it was above .y head to St it on the counter.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, my ortho has been my doc for about 13 years. I'm just afraid I have re injured it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Orthopedic Surgeon about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that you could have re-injured the surgery, either at the site of the repair or elsewhere on the labrum or biceps tendon.

If the pain had been transient, it would not be as worrisome. But since the pain has persisted since the incident on Thursday, it is more worrisome that there has been another injury. And the level of concern would be greater if the pain is more severe.

It is usually not something that required urgent care over the weekend, unless the pain is more severe and intolerable, but you should contact your Ortho when the office opens this week. A sling is frequently used during the immediate post-op period, and if you still have your sling, it would be OK to use the sling to see if it helps to ease the pain until you can talk with your Ortho.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.