DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics

Orthopedics doctors, I have one crucial question related to

Customer Question

Hello all Orthopedics doctors,I have one crucial question related to my spouse's right knee injury ( meniscus tear ). She is around 36 years old and 115 pounds.Let me give some background abt injury. She had that injury while performing a dance almost 2 years ago..she went for MRI and took anti-inflammation medicines, rest,physio etc. for few months before she got better. Then she went for bit biking few weeks back and triggered that injury again.So, we again conducted MRI per Doctor's recommendations and have following findings which are not normal :
1. Chondromalacia of the patelloferoral compartment appears overll moderate grade. There are 3 to 4 mm osteochondral lesions within the medial patellar and trochlear facets.2.There is a tear of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus with oblique component within the posteriorhorn contacting the apical to mid 1/3 tibial articular surface and longitudinal component contacting the peripheral 1/3 tibial articular surface in the body. Intact anterior horn.3. There is small joint fluid.4. Small complex septated ganglion cyst adjacent to the anterior cruciate ligament undersurface.
Now, my question is what are the options we have.One of the options we were given to undergo a surgery but the drawback is she may hit arthritis early as surgeons may remove the meniscus. So we are thinking of it as a last resort.We are also open for alternate therapy which can heal her injury. Just wondering if you have come across similar situations with your patients. If yes, what are our best options for her given the situation ? In case we opt for surgery, do you think that we will fix all the issues/injuries found in MRI as mentioned above ?Currently my spouse is also going to physio and doing those exercises recommended by him since last week. She is taking anti-inflammatory medicines when pain is not bearable. We also tried acupunture but they didn't guarantee the full recovery.I would appreciate any kind feedbacks seeing her current situation. Please feel free to call me for any phone consultation at(###) ###-####if it's fine.Thanks so much
Jeet Mehta
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

2 years ago is a along time to have a knee injury.

it sounds like this is a bad tear of the cartilage of the knee

I'm glad she is doing physical therapy.

a knee steroid injection could help decrease pain and inflammation (has she had one yet)?

she may benefit from protein rich plasma injection into the knee to help with healing, but there is controversy with this.

she can try to take glucosamine and condroitin and tumeric and bromaline to help decrease inflammation in the knee.

you are right, orthoscopic knee surgery is the last resort, but it sounds like she has been trying other options for 2 years now

if nothing seems to be helping, she may have to have knee surgery.

every patient is different and have different results to orthosopic knee surgery.

at least she is not facing to have to do a total knee replacement at this point.

let me know if you have questions.