Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

Wrist injury - Went to med clinic and took showed me xray

Customer Question

Wrist injury - Went to med clinic and took showed me xray and said I have trapizium wrist fracture - gave me thumb wrist brace. Then clinic called and said radiologist report says negative. Cant see bone doc till Monday afternoono. Do I need to keep wearing brace
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Are you still having pain or swelling?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
a swollen bump on base of wrist where meets thumb joint - pain on gripping with thumb and fingers and sort of a periodic deep throbbing pain
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The doc showed me right on xray where he thought the fracture was so I am just confused.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

I would suggest you keep the splint on until you have the issue of fracture resolved more definitively. There are several overlapping structures on plain films of the wrist and it is easy to get faked out. On the other hand, radiologists do miss things once in awhile. If the official report says "no fracture seen" it is a good sign, as radiologists see lots of films every day and have a great feel for what is normal and what is not. That said, I would suggest you have a second radiologist review the films (this is called an "R2") and see what he or she says. If there is any doubt remaining, I would suggest you get a CT of the wrist, which provides much greater detail about the bones. The blood supply to some of the bones of the wrist can be vulnerable to injury, so it would be important not to miss even a small fracture. In the meantime, it would be prudent to wear the brace and minimize use of the hand.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best wishes,