DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

I'm currently looking information. I recently have

Customer Question

Hello. I'm currently looking for some information. I recently have noticed a weird feeling in my left knee. It's not a pain but it just feels unstable,sorta weak and it feels heavier than my right knee. I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is. I attached a photo, the knee on the right is my left knee
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Apparently yyour knee is slightly swollen. Since you feel unstable the reason might be a meniscus damage. This can develop by trauma (falling and distorting the knee) but also without any movement at all. Depending on your age and the strain your knee had to bear dring the last 20 years (accidents, sports...) it can just degenerate. Little fissures and bigger damages can develop. Acute traumatic meniscus damages tend to hurt, chronic ones quite often don't.

So please see your doctor or go to E.R. to have checked if there is water in your knee and if the meniscus signs are positive. These are certain painful movements.

Depending on the outcome maybe an operation will be necessary.

Inflammatory (rheumatic) diseases can also cause such a swelling, but are painful, especially during nights.

If there is any question open feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah It just feels really weighed down and really heavy. I do not feel pain from it at all. But I feel its heaviness everytime I walk. I attached another photo with better lighting of my knees. Again my left knee is on the right side of the picture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put a little black marker dot over the knee I'm referring to
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also my apologies, I am 30 years old

Thank you, ***** ***** is obvious. Do you ski or ever fell down heavily?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not ski and havent fallen down recently. You don't think its a blod clot forming do you?

No, I don't, because clotting causes edema in the whole calf and pain.

This swelling seems related to the joint.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ahh I see. That's good to hear, my calf doesnt hurt and i have zero pain at all and circulation seems good, i checked that by pinching my big toe and seeing how fast the blood comes back(not even sure if thats effective).So best thing to do is contact my doctor and get it checked out then is your suggestion?Also about meniscus damage, how serious is it exactly, i guess that would depend on the evaluation right to determine its severity?

This is rigfht. Clotting affects the veins, by the way, and has nothing to do with the arteries that bring the blood into your toe.

You arer right. The doctor has to examine the knee and see if some cooling and rest might be helpful enough.

If you are happy with my help please don't forget to rate positively!

Do you still need me?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I think that is it for right now. I will contact my doctor in the morning and try to get an evaluation on my knee and see whats up. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out

You are very welcome! I hope that you don't worry any more about your blood circulation, there is no reason for that.

Please don't forget to rate postively, because that's the way we are paid for our help.

I wish you all the best!