Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have been having quite a bit a pain in my left ankle past

Customer Question

Hi - I have been having quite a bit a pain in my left ankle for the past 8 weeks or so, no direct trauma or injury. I was diagnosed with multiple auto-immune diseases back in Oct 2013, including Ankylosing Spondylitis, but have not had any major issues with ankles previously. The pain started about 8 weeks ago and progressively getting worse to the point where I am barely able to put weight on it. The pain is on the outer side of the ankle and goes from ankle bone to heel and about the size of a 50 cent piece. I'm not able to flex the ankle, and quite a bit of pain on touch and any movement. Xray showed significant productive changes at dorsal talus and degenerative changes, but I am not sure exactly what that means. Can you shed some light of the xray results? And what can I do about the pain?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

Please let me know how old are you and your gender ?

Do you have backache along with ankle and knee pain ?

I will be able to better explain X ray and will suggest you what to do next accordingly .

Thanks .

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I am Dr. thomas, a double board certified US doctor.

This means you have arthritis in the ankle.

The talus is the large bone of the angle.

Anti inflamatories would be the usual first treatment. [NSAIDS]

But that depends on your doctor, and your history.

Also physical therapy.

Also an evaluation of the lower spine, as damage there can be contributing to you pain.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am 43 and female, have long term chronic back pain caused from the Ankylosing Spondylitis, I am already taking NSAIDs, along with Remicade, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Methotrexate, Meloxicam, Fentanyl, Oxycodone, and several others, I was doing physical therapy but had to stop due to pain, at this point, the only therapy that I can tolerate is water therapy.

OK

I would suggest you see an MD specialist in physical medicine as well.

This is arthritis of the ankle, and can be complicated by your back problems.

See my premium services offer to discuss alternative therapies.