Dr David Wright
Dr David Wright, Doctor
Experience:  MB BS DCH DRCOG MRCGP, Senior Partner Gillies and Overbridge Medical Partnership
93348631

I'm reading this Jones fracture. I have a Jones fracture nondispl

Customer Question

I'm reading this Jones fracture. I have a Jones fracture nondisplaced and have been NWB (for the most part) even tho I have walking boot for 10 weeks and there has been no improvement. I'm 62, have osteoporosis and MS. I don't want to wait another 4 weeks just to find nothing has yet to happen. I don't believe that after 10 weeks it will all of a sudden start healing
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I live alone and have been waiting most of this time for a power wheelchair,, but that will take a few more weeks. I have a little service dog that needs to be walked and I cannot do it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Orthopedics
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did deposit
Expert:  Dr David Wright replied 11 months ago.
Hello. I am very sorry that you are are having a very difficult time. Having an injury to your foot on top of your other medical issues must be very difficult, particularly as you live alone.Unfortunately a Jones fracture is a difficult fracture to treat and it would not be honest of me to pretend otherwise. As you know, the fracture affects one the bones in your foot ( the 5th metatarsal) and occurs at a part of the bone which receives a poor blood supply. This means that the fracture can take longer to heal than would otherwise be the case.As a general rule, it is always better to let bones heal naturally if possible, and the conservative approach of waiting to see if nature will do its job is definitely the best initial treatment option. Unfortunate, only time can tell if this approach is going to be successful, and as a rule of thumb it needs around 12 to 14 weeks to know if healing is proceeding successfully. Only then will your doctor be able to assess the situation accurately and decide whether other options such as bone stimulation (controversial) or surgery (risk of side effects and complications) are going to have to be considered.I quite understand that this is very frustrating for you, but I am sure your doctor is acting in your best interests.I hope this answers your questions. Best wishes. Dr ***** *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been doing the bone stim daily for 7 or 8 weeks. My doctor does not know how to do the surgery and would have to send me elsewhere. So why am I wasting my time with him?
It is always going to be a judgement call when to refer on to a surgeon who can do the surgery and it sounds as though that point may be approaching. But as I said before, it is in your best interests to give the fracture adequate time to heal before considering surgical intervention and it seems this is exactly what you doctor is doing. I do hope things get better for you soon. With best wishes. Dr ***** *****