DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

I hurt my shoulder a few months ago. I see a chiropractor

Customer Question

HI,
I hurt my shoulder a few months ago.
I see a chiropractor regularly so I asked him to work on it. He got it a little better but never could get it pain free. He suggested an MRI because he suspected a supraspinatus tear.
I decided to have the MRI done and it did show a full supraspinatus tear.
He said I needed to go see an orthopedic doctor at that point.
So I emailed my general practicioner to get the consult and they sent in a consult.
Ortho called me and wanted to schedule me for August (3 months away). I told them that was insane as I had a torn tendon and was in a good amount of pain. They said that if the DR has routed the consult as urgent they would get me in within a week.
SO I went back to my GP and asked for an urgent consult.
They declined my request and said urgent consults are reserved for emergencies only.
So my question to you is, is this situation considered routine? Should I really wait 3 months to be seen?
I am in a fair amount of pain, my muscles are always tied in knots and my shoulder/neck pretty much hurt all the time.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Tim
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for this question Tim.I don't think this is reasonable and if you are in this much pain, I would have no problem putting this in as urgentYou should have been put in as urgent.There is absolutely no harm in it and you would have gotten a much sooner apt. let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is a torn supraspinatus tendon a serious issue then? My doctor seems not concerned at all about it, do you have any idea why?
Well it's not serious in that it can't get any worse or cause any more permanent damage.It IS serious because you are in a lot of pain
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My chiropractor seems to think that scar tissue will form by the time they see me and that can lead to problems in the future. What is your opinion of this?
No I don't think so.Especially not if you do physical therapy in the meantime
you still there Tim?