Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Internist
23744323

My father was walking into the bathroom and his right foot

Customer Question

My father was walking into the bathroom and his right foot slipped, and he caught himself with his left foot, and he leaned forward and felt something give way on the lower left side of his leg right above his ankle and felt/heard something snap. He is able to fully rotate his foot. We got him up and moved him over to the couch. On the way he put a small amount of weight on the heel of his foot. It is painful but there is very little swelling and no bruising and its been an hour. What does this sound like to you? Do you believe that a tendon ruptured or anything serious like that?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The snapping noise suggests at least partial tear of the Achilles tendon attached to the ankle.Pain alone can be a symptoms.However lack of swelling and significant weakness suggest it should improve over time.He should apply plenty of ice and avoid bearing weight on the affected foot for at least a week.Ankle strap or support should be used as well.Tylenol or ibuprofen can be taken for pain and inflammation control.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! He can't seem to really walk on it because of the pain. Should we get x-rays done tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Yes Xrays should be done to rule out any bone fracture.Tendon rupture will not show up in Xrays though.However, no fracture will not change the management.Immobilization with ankle strap and use of crutches will help with recovery over days. Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks! Is there a reasonable possibility that it's a bone fracture?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
That is unlikely since no swelling of the foot or ankle.Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you! And a ruptured ten***** *****ke that can fully recover?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Yes it can with adequate rest and immobilization of the foot. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/