Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My left foot is very swollen. I woke up and put on shoes and

Customer Question

My left foot is very swollen. I woke up and put on shoes and wanted to rip my foot off. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. I did wear heels last night for 90 minutes, max, and most of the time I was sitting down. I can't put pressure on it, and it throbs. Do I need to be seeing a doctor in the morning?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Yes, I would like that you should see your doctor.Seems unlikely to be anything serious.Most likely it is a soft tissue swelling due to wearing inappropriate shoes.Meanwhile I would recommend taking anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen 200 mg three times a day.I would also recommend elevating the foot and applying compresses (crepe bandage).Rest would also help improve symptoms. Exertion may worsen symptoms. Rest for a few days would help.Applying ice wrapped in a towel for fifteen to twenty minutes four to five times a day may also help reduce swelling.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So I should see my doctor in the morning then?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
If your symptoms persist, I would recommend that you be seen.If your symptoms improve by tomorrow, then there is no need to be seen.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is still swollen, and it really hurts when I try to move my last two toes.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
In that case I would recommend that you be seen to rule out a fracture (stress fracture can cause such swelling and pain as well).This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 9 months ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards