Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have an arthritic big toe that prevents me from walking

Customer Question

I have an arthritic big toe that prevents me from walking normally. I have heard that Rocker Bottom is a good solution as a shoe specifically designed for such problems. What is your opinion regarding the shoes as a possible solution to my problem?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidrocker bottom shoes were designed to possibly give more muscles in the lower leg more of an exercise. but 2010 University of Wisconsin study commissioned by the American Council on Exercise compared exercise wearing rocker bottom shoes and regular running shoes. The study found there was no fitness benefit to wearing rocker sole shoesfor your arthritic big toe, you might need a larger wider shoe to allow more space for that toe.an orthodic shoe with more room for your toessomething like thishttp://www.footsmart.com/P-Instride-Mens-Durango-Hook-N-Loop-Walking-Shoes-72192.aspx?lsku=72192%20010%2025%20130&SRCCODE=WMFSFR16&cm_mmc=goog-_-PLA-_-WMFSFR16-_-012813&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA122vzsvecidjYwWtUtyT2yFbkz-H_d3VEvmyl5ho4qLUaAnGD8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-adid^92516184517-device^c-plaid^184691601157-sku^72192%20010%2025%20130-adType^PLAmight be better for youyou can also go to medical supply stores in your area and see what sort of medical orthodic shoes they carry and try them on and see which ones fit you best and are better for your toeI don't think a rocker bottom shoes would help you. you need your toes to help with balance for those types of rocker bottom shoes.I don't think you want to use your toe more for balance purposes.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
do you have other questions?