How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Sawhney Your Own Question
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Category: Orthopedics
Satisfied Customers: 7142
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
Type Your Orthopedics Question Here...
Dr.Sawhney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been experience a lot of pain in my hips and now has

Customer Question

I have been experience a lot of pain in my hips and now has included my left leg, where leg meets hip in groin area but pain is deep not on surface. I get a lot of sharp pains after I try to put my leg down when I sit like the picture attached. It's fine if I keep leg like that, but as soon as try to put it down pain is there. Not all the time but 9 out of 10. I sit like that as is comfy for my hip. In addition my hips hurt (dull achy pain) the more I move, and am stiff if sit too long or even lay down too long. I have been tested for lupus, arthritis, you name it. Yet no answers. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is most likely disc disease of the lower spine.Hip arthritis can also be at play here.You need to see a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD.You need to lose weight after the pain is addressed.You need, probably, and MRI of the lower spine and at least a hip x ray on the left.Hip pain often radiates to the groin.Lower spine disc problems radiate down the leg. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Dr.Sawhney an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I need some more information.
Do you get pain in any other joints of the body?
Are your hips step when you get up in the morning?
Please tell me your age?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pain all over including all joints (except elbow joints) but hips/lower back and that area when I have left leg (does not happen with right leg) up is the worse pain. I have had a few MRIs and Xrays of lower back and spine. Not hips though. Have been told have a bulging disc in lower back but they said would not be cause of pain. Also been told have an extra disc (the last one that is suppose to fuse as you grow, did not fuse).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Age 40 joint and body pains has been happening for 3 years now. Hip pain worsen about 1 year ago. Sharp leg pain (only when I try to lower it from that position in picture) just started a few months ago. My hips are still when I wake up (that too just started a few months ago). But for about 3 years hips/lower back also stiff when I sit or walk around a bit (like after only 15 mins). Stairs/bending over make it worse.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying.I would like to have few possible conditions ruled out in the order I am writing them.These include FAI that is femoro acetabular impingement, hip flexor strain and degenerative changes in the hip joint.More likely it is FAI where the labrum that is like a rubbery gasket around the acetabulum ( socket of the hip joint) gets pinched between the ball and socket of hip.This can cause the pain on extension of hip along with startup pain and stiffness.Hip flexor strain is less likely as most such strains would not persist for a year.Degenerative changes in the hip are possible but again less likely at age of 40 years.You need to have an orthopedic surgeon especially a sports specialist dealing in hip joint pathology see you and examine you.MR arthrogram of the hip may be needed as it is the best investigation for FAI.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you will see a specialist and ask them about FAI and the others possibilities you mentioned.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and best of luck.Do remember to rate my answer as this the only way we get assessed and paid for our work and time on this website.