Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience

I have a patient who fractured his fibula while running. Two

Customer Question

I have a patient who fractured his fibula while running. Two weeks earlier he slide into home plate and the catcher stepped on his leg. He never had any swelling just little pain above his ankle and states that it feels tight. He continued to play baseball until yesterday. The coach had them run in the gym and he fractured the fibula approximately 4 to 5 inches above the malleous. The ortho who has not seen him yet says it a Weber's fracture and if the ligaments are tore he will need surgery. I have examined his ankle and it feels stable and has absolutely no pain and full ROM. I feel like he had a stress fracture from weeks earlier and running on the hard gym floor caused the fracture. Please give me your opinion.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 6 months ago.
HelloI am an orthopedic surgeon and I will be happy to help you today.
I am reading your question and I will respond shortly.
Did he twist his ankle while running?
Do you see any swelling at the area of injury or ankle?Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No he didn't twist ankle while running and no swelling at the ankle. Just running and fibula fractured. He is 15 years old, tall and skinny.
Thanks for the information.
The fracture at this location would be classified as a weber type C fracture. Type C fracture is an unstable fracture which requires fixation.
Mechanism of injury involves twisting injury to the ankle and because there is substantial soft tissue component swelling is usually significant.
If both these factors are absent it is likely that this is a stress fracture rather than a type C fracture.
Still MRI can be considered to delineate the soft tissue component of the injury. MRI will clearly show if ligamentous injury is present.
Feel free to ask any follow up question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would the slide into home plate two weeks ago caused this or running on gym floor yesterday and possibly the way his foot landed on the floor caused it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has still been practicing and playing until this happened yesterday.
it is possible that the two weeks old injury was the primary injury which converted into a stress fracture on running hard.