Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience

I am a Certified Personal Trainer, so I tend to try to

Customer Question

I am a Certified Personal Trainer, so I tend to try to exercise just about everyday and since I work at a health club and my job as a trainer requires me to be in good shape and stuff exercise is important. I noticed last Friday and Saturday when I was like doing the treadmill, my knees started to hurt and stuff. And I know in the past when my trainer I had in the past and in my Fitness Assessment class I took at school when I had to do an Overhead Squat Assessment my knees would move inwards. I had an X-Ray of my knees the other day ordered by the doctor filling in for my regular doctor until my regular one gets back next week. I did make an appointment to see my regular doctor regarding my knee pain, but the doctor filling in for him that ordered the X-Ray of my knees said my X-Rays are normal. When I go to see my regular doctor on Monday, what do you think he will do, any other tests that you think he might order, or what do you think he would recommend for me to do with my knee pain. What do you actually think is the cause of my knee pain, I never in my life had any issues with my knees I am 41 years old.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The best test for knees in your case would be MRI of your knees which is what I would recommend.

I would like to rule out an injury to the ligaments and the menisci of your knees and for which MRI is the best option.

Meanwhile, for the pain you can take OTC pain medications like motrin or aleve.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 6 months ago.
I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I need some more information.
Please tell me your age and gender.
Do you get any symptoms of knee locking or knee giving way?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am a 41 year old female I know that in school during the Fitness Assessment class and the trainer I have when I did for assessment the Overhead Squat Assessment in both class at school and my trainer noticed when I did it my knees would turn inwards doing the Overhead Squat Assessment. There are sometimes it feels when I am walking at a much slower speed than I used to on treadmill that it feels as though my knees might give out on my.
How about using stairs?
Do you get any discomfort while going up up coming down stairs?
Are you knees stiff when you get up in the morning?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sometimes I have a little bit of pain walking upstairs and my knees are not stiff when I get up in the morning.
Thanks for the information.
It seems that you may be having patellar maltracking. This may be associated with some changes in the cartilage of patellofemoral compartment of knee joint.
Your doctor shoot assess you for patellar tracking and have specific skyline views of the knee to look at patellofemoral compartment of the knee joint.
Feel free to ask any follow question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also just realized since I am in bed now, I noticed that if I am lying on my left side with me left leg on bottom and right leg on top of left leg with not much pressure there is a little pain as well then too in my left knee I don't know if it is the same as if I am lying on my right side for my right knee when my right leg would be on bottom and left leg on top of right leg. But I just noticed that now as well regarding if I am lying on my left side like that in bed at night.
Do you see any swelling around the knee?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't notice any swelling.
This indicates tenderness on the medial joint line of knee joint.
This may be a part of the changes in the medial compartment of knee joint. Therefore you should have standing anteroposterior x ray of the knee joint in addition to Skyline view.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was looking at my knee X-Ray results that I had last week from the doctor that ordered it that was filling in for my regular doctor that was out all last week. It says the reason for my knee X-Ray was to check for bone abnormality. I have an appointment with my regular primary care doctor this Monday April 4 at 1pm what should I ask him specifically when I see him like what type of tests or anything should I ask him about.
You should ask him to check for any patellar maltracking and also for any changes in the patellofemoral and medial changes in the patella femoral and medial tibiofemoral compartments of the knee joint.
You may also ask him if Skyline view of the knee joint would be helpful.