Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I continue to have muscle twitching in my left calf

Customer Question

I continue to have muscle twitching in my left calf specifically when I'm standing still or laying down. It started about one year ago after the birth of my daughter. It is not painful but very annoying. It seems to come and go. Furthermore my left outer foot goes numb with an occasional pins and needles feeling on the ball of my foot. I do feel like my left leg has gotten weak. I don't know if this is all related (perhaps a sciatica problem) or if I have several things going wrong...or some disease!!! I would appreciate any insight you can offer and how I might go about figuring out the problem.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 10 months ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

Please tell me about your age and gender.

Do the symptoms get pronounced on standing or walking?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm 36, female.
I have no symptoms when walking...its "erupts" when occasionally standing still and almost always when laying down that the twitching starts....

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect that now coming down into the leg from your spine is getting compressed or irritated at lower lumbar spinal level.

This causes tingling sensation, twitching as well as the feeling of weakness in the leg.

You need to have this examined by a neurosurgeon or an orthopaedic surgeon who can then order relevant investigations especially MRI of lumbosacral spine which shows the nerve structure and the surrounding soft tissue structure like discs and ligamentum flavum in detail.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
from the sounds it this doesn't sound like some autoimmune disease or something does it?

No.

It

The description you have given does not sound like an autoimmune disorder.