Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I am. 51 year old female. Had arthroscopic surgery on my

Customer Question

I am. 51 year old female. Had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee 9 days ago for partial meniscus tear and arthritis. I had same surgery on my left knee 3 years ago, same doctor. I am still experiencing swelling and discomfort and sometimes my knee is warm to the touch, which I did not have at this point last time. I have no fever or discharge or red streaks indicating infection. I am icing several times a day and doing stretches and strengthening exercises.
My question is whether I can walk for exercise. I am very active, exercising daily prior to surgery - running, Pilates, kickboxing. My doctor encourages activity as tolerated so I am anxious to resume activity but know it will create swelling. Should I avoid doing this or is it okay for me to start easing back into my activities and accept that swelling will just be part of the deal?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I am Dr. Thomas, a double board certified US doctor. You can save time and avoid delays by requesting me specifically in the medical category. Use a long request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the question title.

This is a potentially serious situation.

This situation needs a post operative examination first, before doing anything else.

It can be infection. You do not have to have red streaks or discharge. That is a myth.

And a lot of swelling and heat is indicative of infection.

Which could be serious if not attended to. In fact, the operation can be for naught if you wind up with infectious joint damage.

Go to the ER; have them look at it; have them call your doctors group.

See if it needs to be sampled for the lab.

To answer your initial question, you should not increase activity, you should rest and elevate the leg until you are seen. Icing is fine.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

Knee can remain mildly warm and swollen for 3-4 weeks after arthroscopic surgery.

This is normal and you should not get unduly worried about it.

You may start walking within levels of comfort.

Feel free to ask any follow-up question.