Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

My father had a stent put in s thigh on Nov 2, 2015 and is

Customer Question

Hi, my father had a stent put in his thigh on Nov 2, 2015 and is now on Plavix. He was also having shoulder issues (a tear in both) and is supposed to have surgery later this month. He is in severe pain from the shoulders but obviously we want to do what's
best for his health. He have very limited mobility due to shoulder pain (it’s spread across his upper back between the shoulders too) and he is virtually unable to sleep at night because of the pain and burning when he lays down. Yesterday, he noticed that
his hands were slightly stiff and swollen. Anything he can do at home to try and ease his pain during the day and sleep at night? Also, what is the recommendation on Plavix and surgery?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an orthopedic surgeon and I will be happy to help you today.

I shall be answering your question shortly.Please wait.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Standard recommendation is that Plavix should be stopped 3 days before surgery but because his stenting is very recent you need to ask his vascular surgeon regarding stopping Plavix.

In most cases patients are put on alternative anti coagulants like low molecular weight heparins but his vascular surgeon should determine what anti coagulants have to be used.

To make him more comfortable he can be put on acetaminophen with maximum dose being 3000mg in 4-6 divided doses.You may also use biofreeze application to shoulder for pain relief.

He also needs to take some precautions regarding posture.He needs to avoid all overhead activities and keep his elbow loose ( avoid raising it to side of body) while performing any activity.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.