Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I have grade 1 spondylothesis in one of my lumbar. Discs. I

Customer Question

I have grade 1 spondylothesis in one of my lumbar. Discs. I have failed all conservative treatments and the only thing that helps is pain medicine which I have no interest on being on on a daily basis. I am interested in the pro disk system to replace the disk causing all the trouble. I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss this. Is this a viable option for me?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

Welcome to justanswer.

Please tell me your age and gender and a brief description of your symptoms. Also let me know since how long have you been having this problem.

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

I was awaiting your reply. Since I have not had any till now I will go ahead and answer your question . You are free to seek any further information by replying to me.

Clinical studies have shown good short and medium term results with pro disc disc replacement. We do not yet know the long-term results as sufficient time has not yet passed since the introduction of prodisc system.

Disc replacement is not for everyone. It means that strict inclusion criteria need to be followed while choosing a patient for Disc replacement. If these criteria are not followed chances of failure of surgery increase.

Patients with grade 1 degenerative spondylolisthesis can have disc replacement but those with lytic Spondylolisthesis of any degree are not candidate for Disc replacement. Your surgein would be able to tell if you are having lytic or degenerative spondylolisthesis.

Another important fact to be considered is the degree of degenerative changes in the facet joints. Two faces joins lie behind the disc at each disk level and the two facet joints along with disc form the triple joint complex which is responsible for controlling all the motion at any disc level.As we are replacing only the disc, if the facet joints are degenerated they will remain painful even after disc replacement and ultimately lead to failure of surgery.

Bone quality also needs to be good. Males usually have better bone quality compared to females especially females who are post menopausal.

Factors to be considered before going in for Disc replacement or Pro disc surgery.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.