Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I have been having severe pain in my right thigh-back-right

Customer Question

I have been having severe pain in my right thigh-back-right side of thigh and even front of thigh..it really hurts when even the seat touches it and there are places I press that are so painful. It really hurts when I put any weight on it and just throbs.
I was sitting with my grand kids when it began and got worse each day. On Tuesday, I saw my back doctors PA.. He said it sounded like sciatica but ordered no tests..I called today and he ordered an MRI and I get the results tomorrow. I asked about DVT and
he said he saw no swelling, warmth or redness. Please tell me what you think. I am so afraid because this is very scary.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

This does sound like sciatica.DVT does not present like this.

Pain is not always present with DVT and even if pain is present, it is in calf rather than thigh.

MRI would give a better picture about extent of your problem.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does sciatica hurt this much? I am in severe pain which has gotten worse and worse since Sunday...
Also, I had a chiropractic adjustment the Friday before the Sunday. Could that have caused this? Unlike what the literature says about sciatica, ny thigh hurts in back, on side and even in front-
What can they do to relieve the pain? My friend said day can happen in the thigh too but you say it cannot-- is the best way to diagnose it ultrasound or can MRI diagnose too? Sorry for so many more questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say DVT -computer changed it.. This came on so suddenly with my grand daughter lying on my lap
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for replying.
Sciatica can be extremely painful.
It is very difficult to see if the adjustment caused it because most of the times no antecedent cause can be pointed out for onset of sciatica pain.
Sciatica can cause thigh pain in front, back and outer side though most commonly it is side and back of thighs.
Right now you may use an anti-inflammatory medicine like advil for pain relief.
You may also get some relief by lying on your side with your knees bent and with a pillow between your knees.
If you have to lie down straight keep your knees bent with a large pillow or a rolled quilt under your knees.

Ultrasound as well as MRI can be used to diagnose deep vein thrombosis.