Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

The radiologist's impressions were, as follows: 1. Complete

Customer Question

The radiologist's impressions were, as follows:
1. Complete tear of the supraspinatus tendon with the fibers retracted just proximal to the acromioclavicular joint. Infraspinatus and teres minor tendons appear intact. There is associated edema within the supraspinatus muscle. No evidence of fatty atrophy.
2. Severe acromioclavicular joint arthrosis with inferior spur formation likely contributing to impingement.
3. Mild degenerative change at the glenohumeral joint.
Would YOU, as an orthopedic surgeon, tell the patient that she can wait for five weeks before being seen? Or, would you arrange for her to be seen fairly quickly? Like, within a week of the MRI date?
I've been in often excruciating pain for over six months with this shoulder, and the two injections I was given have done nothing but increase my blood glucose levels to extremely high readings (hovering in the 300-400 range, and at times, in the 600s!), plus when I did the PT exercises, as ordered, they all made it hurt worse. I have no idea what to make of this lack of treatment! Or, is it that there isn't a treatment?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

A complete supraspinatus tear which has not gotten any better with injections requires to be seen as soon as possible.

This may require surgical intervention and if pain has not improved after injections surgery should be considered without much delay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can INJECTIONS help a complete tear??? Is FIVE WEEKS a long delay to you or a short one? Would YOU make someone wait for FIVE WEEKS after reviewing an MRI that said what mind did?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Injections help decrease pain and inflammation in the joint.

It has been seen that people regain abduction even after a tear in rotator cuff onve inflammation decreases.

I usually give 3 weeks to see how a patient responds to conservative treatment.