Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I fell and broke and dislocated my fibula in February. A

Customer Question

Hello!
I fell and broke and dislocated my fibula in February. A plate and 5 screws were put in. In April I had to have the hardware removed because the incision was not healing and infection had set in. the incision site still refused to heal. I was referred to an ID Dr. and put on antibiotics. the wound still did not heal and another surgery was performed to flush and debreed the wound. It still did not heal.I was then sent back to the ID doctor and placed on 6 weeks of intravenous antibiotics. I am now receiving hyperbarrac chamber treatment the wound Dr. pulled out a nylon stitch last week. Could that stitch have caused my infection that reached my bone?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

A retained suture can be the nidus for ongoing inflammation and an infection that does not heal with antibiotics.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

A soft tissue infection that is particularly aggressive or does not heal completely can extend down through the periosteum into the bone.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

This is possible. Often there are several factors responsible for a prolonged infection. Your ID doctor should be able to culture the wound and tell you the likely culprit or culprits with regard to micro-organisms responsible for your wound.