Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I've asked a few other questions on here because I

Customer Question

I've asked a few other questions on here because I inevitably notice some issue when my doctor's office is closed and start obsessing about it!
I had surgery on Oct 12 to repair a distal radius fracture and a fractured ulna. The surgeon used a plate on the radius and a pin on the ulna, and I've used a sugar tong splint since then. I had a follow appointment on Thursday and had new x-rays taken. The surgeon said that it's healing normally. I've never really looked closely at the ulna side of my wrist since the surgery because my entire hand was swollen and the incision was covered with steri strips.
However, when I took the splint off today to stretch, I looked a bit closer and noticed that the ulna styloid bump, which is where the incision is, looks odd. The bump is about three times larger than it is on the opposite arm. And it's hard to the touch so I don't think it's swelling. It's definitely hurts when my splint presses against it and when I rotate my wrist, but it doesn't affect use my fingers. I'm now worried that I did something that reinjured it.
Is it normal for the styloid to appear larger after surgery?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

There can be a difference in appearance of the wrist after surgery for distal radius and ulna.

There can be several different sources of this difference.

It can be due to swelling post surgery, slight difference in alignment of the bones compared to normal position or due to slight difference between the lengths of two bones as a result of injury and surgery.

It is not something which you did that caused this difference in appearance. In majority of patients this is not a cause of concern and the slight difference between the two sides in appearance is compatible with absolutely normal function.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.