Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Sweeney, I get this deep nerve itch in my foot that will

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Sweeney, I get this deep nerve itch in my foot that will wake me out of a deep sleep to scratch it!! I'm not sure what this ours because I don't have athlete's fit!! The itch is so severe that I have to use tweezers and another sharp instrument to scratch or press down on the nerve for almost an hour just to get out to stop!! It hurts and it's VERY uncomfortable!! It's happening now!! Like, I literally have to stab my foot with something sharp and hold it there while using another instrument to rub down my foot to find this itchy nerve!! Please help!! I'm diabetic and can't afford to damage my feet!!
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This can actually be a paresthesia or a neuropathy if there is no rash.

For example, a pinched nerve in the lower spine.

It can also be from diabetes. That would usually occur on both sides, but rarely it will start on one side.

There are other serious causes as well.

See your doctor immediately about this symptom, for exam and testing.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.