Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I had the strangest thing happen tonight. I was just walking

Customer Question

I had the strangest thing happen tonight. I was just walking to the bathroom and all of a sudden I heart this crack and felt a popping sensation in my knee, which stopped me in my tracks. It kinda hurt a little like a cramp. I then started walking again
and it seemed to be fine, but then happened again a few minutes later. What do you think this was?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

I need some more information.

Did you have any problem or pain with your knee prior to this episode?

Any swelling around the knee?

Do you feel any particular part of the knee is tender to touch?

What is your age?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't really had any problems with my knees. The only thing I can't really kneel down on them well because they feel like they are very soft like they won't hold me. My knee has been xrayed in the past due to a bruised patella. I think that is what it was. No significant findings. I had no pain or swelling, just walking normally to the bathroom and it happened quickly. No pain when touching knee. No pain at all. I am 50 years old.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

I feel that you have got it right. It was most likely patella maltracking during its movement inside the femoral groove. As knee moves from extended position to flexed position patella has to engage inside the groove at lower end of femur. If this engagement is not smooth, the patella can hit the wall of groove and cause sudden pain or feeling of instability. The pain or instability can be momentary as patella proceeds to move smoothly in the groove as our knee extends.

No treatment is required at present. If this happens again and again you will need to have your knee and patellar tracking assessed.

Feel free to ask any follow-up question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I start walking again I feel a slight popping feeling. Very slight. One thing I did do earlier tonight was when sitting on a chair I had my leg elevated on a footstool but the foot stool wasn't supporting the back of the knee. My calf was on the stool but the back of the knee wasn't. This sometimes hurts because it feels like the back of the knee is over stretched. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does make sense. This popping sensation could have caused slight fluid buildup in the knee. That would cause the feeling of over stretching when you try to extend it by keeping it straight without supporting the back of knee.

Slight popping sensation might indicate that is still malracking slightly.