Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

Please can you give me some advice - my mother had a hip replacement

Customer Question

Please can you give me some advice - my mother had a hip replacement 15 years ago and about 2 months ago her upper thigh on the leg she had the replacement started to have sharp pains at the point where the replacement goes into the bone. She saw a doctor and had an x-ray that showed no displacement. The doctor thought she'd got a hamstring problem and referred her for physiotherapy. The first physio session made it hurt a bit more and her second session (where she had ultra-sound) left her in agony. It is getting worse every day and she can only lie down, when she moves or stands she has a debilitating stabbing pain in her upper thigh. She saw the doctor again on Wednesday and he referred her to a consultant, her appointment is in three days. Meantime she is taking slow release Tramadol for the pain and is very nauseous. I am at the point of calling an ambulance as it is horrendous to see her in so much pain - she is also my stepfather's carer and he has bladder and prostrate cancer. We can't wait for months for an operation.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.I have read your question.What exactly would you like to know from me ?If she needs additional painkillers she can use Tylenol at maximum dose of 3grams in a day divided over 4-6 dose .Thanks