Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

My fiancee had a meniscal knee implant and got a pseudomonas

Customer Question

Hi doctor, my fiancee had a meniscal knee implant and got a pseudomonas infection in her joint, she will have her implant removed and knee washed, cleaned and debrided 3-4 times.
What does washed and debrided mean or like?
What to expect interms of pain, and anasthesia (local or general)?
Antibiotics or not?
Will she be able to walk afterwards?
If so when will she can manage to leave the hospital?
And is debrided and washed out 3-4 times means another 3-4 surgeries or is a an easy treatment?
Please give me some info or expectations because shes traveling tomorrow for the removal surgery.
Thanks
Ghoneim
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

By washing surgeon means that the joint would be thoroughly washed with several liters of fluid so as to remove maximum possible bacteria present in the knee joint to bring down the bacterial count.

By debridement surgeon means that he will remove all dead and necrotic tissue as well as any tissue which seems infected in the knee joint.

When bacterial count is brought down it can be tackled with antibiotics. Several weeks of antibiotic use may be needed to control and eradicate infection.

Most of the times regional anaesthesia in form of spinal block is used but the type of anesthesia to be given is the prerogative of anaesthesia doctor. Your fiancee can definitely discuss the type of anesthesia to be used with the doctor and let her doctor know what she prefers.

She may require 3 to 4 different surgeries for eradicating infection as pseudomonas is a hardy bacteria and difficult to eradicate.

Usually the day of surgery is more painful compared to other days. But there are effective methods of pain control and her surgeon can use those methods including intra-articular injections to control pain. He may also consider using multimodal analgesia where several different methods of pain control are used.

Her doctor would be the best person to tell you about walking after surgery as different surgeons follow different rehabilitation protocols post surgery.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for ur reply,
But please clarify this - "
She may require 3 to 4 different surgeries for eradicating infection as pseudomonas is a hardy bacteria and difficult to eradicate."
Are the 3-4 a REAL SURGERY like the cartilage removal surgery?
Are the 3-4 procedures done on the same day or there are intervals? If there are breaks how many days are in between.
Is the cartilage removal surgery as bad an painful as the IMPLANT SURGERY ITSELF?
I appreciate ur answers i know its hard for u to decide while u dont know the case but i just need some expectations from you or like some hints.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Had been busy in my clinical duties.

She may require 3-4 surgeries at intervals. Her surgeon would make the decision regarding the interval or requirement of further surgery according to the status of eradication of infection.

These would be real surgeries and maybe as painful as the initial surgery.