Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

What is a small corticated fragment seen anterior to the

Customer Question

What is a small corticated fragment seen anterior to the manubriosternal junction my son had accident last year one thing he fractured was sternum they never followed up but has pain sometimes and hurts when he breathes
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am Dr.Sawhney an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

It means that a small bone piece is lying in front of the manubriosternal joint.

This does not mean that the fracture has not united.It is rare for sternal fractures not to unite.Occasional pain can occur with frequency of painful episodes decreasing as time goes by.

If pain is present all the time he would be better served by having a CT scan as that would clearly define any bone abnormality in the area as sternum is not seen well on plain x rays.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were isthe manubriosternal joint can it be possible it moves or needs to be removed
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in reply.Got busy with an emergency.

This joint is present between the first and second part of sternum at the area where cartilage of second rib joins the sternum.

This is a cartilaginous joint and does not require any operative treatment in most cases.

In rare cases surgery to stabilize the joint is needed.