Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I 't know what doctor I need, here is my delima: I was

Customer Question

I don't know what doctor I need, here is my delima: I was in a car accident last may and sustained many injuries, the none I'm still dealing with is what we were told a hematoma to my upper left thigh/hip area. it seems to of spread to my knee and up into
my buttocks. it is very painful and no one seems to have an answer for treating it. What kind of doctor do I need to see? the sonogram showed separated tissue/muscle, etc. not sure if that's right or not.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

You are probably describing an injury which goes by the name of Morel-Lavallee lesion named after french surgeon who first described it. It involves degoving of large part of skin of thigh and pelvis from underlying tissue with fluid collecting between the skin and underlying tissue as a result of trauma.

Orthopaedic surgeons treat this injury . You may be having difficulty getting proper treatment as this is not a common injury.

I would suggest that you visit Orthopaedic surgery department in a teaching hospital associated with a university .Senior surgeons at these hospitals have much larger experience especially in polyrauma patients who get this injury more frequently.Most of times surgical treatment is required.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.