Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

A bit of story. In 2006 I started getting pains in my lower

Customer Question

A bit of history. In 2006 I started getting pains in my lower back/left hip. This left me in a state that I woke up at night with pain in the hip (and only when I move position). The GP and specialist thought it was my back (and so did I for some time)
I even went for Scan for Life, Back for Life scan and they injected into my spine - no relief from the pain. The surgeon then infiltrated my spine 4 times over the last couple of years and this only brought slight, if any, relief. The hip pain persisted. Then
he suggested I go to the biokineticist as well as do physio which I duly did. The pain in the hip persisted. I was on Tramacet, Celebrex, Pexola (for RLS) as well as puricos for many years - thinking that it was helping. It never actually did. Seeing as I
have not been taking same for the last 6 months and the pain is in effect exactly the same. In the interim I realised the L4/5 of the spine is not damaged enough to cause all this pain and mentioned this to my GP. She referred me to a pain specialist who duly
stated there was a problem with the muscles and did a "muscle release" under anaesthetic as well as platelet rich plasma into the area - none of this actually worked. Someone has now suggested I do a scintigram throughout the whole body which I am duly booked
for next week. In the interim I understand that this will only be able to establish if there is anything wrong with the bone structure and not the muscle/nerves etc...... I have also developed a pain under my left ankle/heel (thinking this must be an injury
sustained during squash) I have had xrays taken and the bones all seem fine. I have an appointment with my GP on Friday to get a referral for the scintigram as well as to check up on the heel/ankle. It is actually underneath the foot and I have realised it
is more painful the more I move. So I am hoping this is purely a sport injury and not anything to do with the hip pain. I know my spine is fine as the "deferred pain" everyone has been referring to over the past 9 or so years - supposedly fromthe back into
the hip - DOES NOT, and I state again, does not move down whatsoever into my buttocks or left leg. I wake up approximately 7 - 8 (if not more) times on a bad night, normally when I am turning the pain is felt - and sometimes, very seldom - approx 1/2 nights
a week - sleep through the night. I have also felt that my right knee is painful every now and then, this I think is due to acidity in the body, or RLS. I have not felt this pain for a while now - just to inform you. Even though I do not think it has no relevance
to the hip pain. After the scintigram, presuming they find nothing, what other specialist, doctor, xray etc would I need to do to establish if there is nerve/muscle damage? I need to state I have been for MRI for the spince as well as the hip and nothing noticeable
was found except for L4/5 degeneration. I am currently on hormone gel (Femigel) and drink a Multivit/Slow-Mag in the morning and a Calmag/Omega 3 capsule at night. Awaiting your reply
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.

I have read your question carefully.

One of the possible causes which probably might not have been ruled out would be a disorder of sacro iliac joint.

A scintigram would be able to show any inflammatory changes in the sacroiliac joint and may help to diagnose.

I would also suggest that you see a Rheumatologist as pain specialist and Orthopaedic specialist have not been able to find anything significant in the way of Pathology.A rheumatologic underlying disorder should be ruled out as well.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions .