Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I just a 3 week cast in my hand, fingers removed. My pinkie

Customer Question

I just a 3 week cast in my hand, fingers removed. My pinkie was fractured ( boxer's fracture), and the finger next to it the ligaments were injured. They are both swollem, red and very painful.i They are bent and. My wrist and hand are also swollen and
painful. What can I do?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.The joints tend to get stiff after they have been kept immobilized in a cast for a few weeks.Stiffness causes pain as well.Some amount of swelling also occurs because the muscles have not been working and the muscles are unable to pump blood back to the heart. This causes stasis leading to swelling. The best way to overcome stiffness and swelling after castor mobilization is to provide warmth to the joints and tissues by putting the hand in warm water.You may also get wax bath at a physiotherapy facility. Wax bath is more effective than warm water alone. You may do this every hour for 10 to 15 minutes. If it's painful you may also use an analgesic like advil.Warmth tends to soften the tissues making them more elastic and allowing increase in range of motion.Feel free to ask any qfollow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the finger with the damaged ligaments? Can I stretch it or should I wait till the swelling comes down. I do not want a twisted finger.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
You should start moving that finger as well within your comfort level. Movement will in fact help bring down the swelling.