Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I had achilles tendonitis 3 years ago. This morning I woke

Customer Question

I had achilles tendonitis 3 years ago. This morning I woke up and my achilles was tight, could barely walk and hurts even when I am not walking on it. It is also throbbing. I put heat on it but it didn't really help. The last time it was this bad was when
I first got it. Should I wait it out or go to the doctor? Would I need crutches to get it to heal faster?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Hello I amCustomeran orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today. And you should apply ice to the painful area. You can do this every hour for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.You should have this examined by a doctor.You may also use an analgesic like advil for pain relief. It can be taken at a dose of 400 to 600 milligrams 4 times a day after meals. Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Sawhney. Thanks for the response. Why ice? I am in no way doubting you but I'm just confused because my physical therapist said ice only if I was walking a lot or doing exercise, and heat if it was tight.Today I woke up and it was significantly less tight than it was yesterday, but it still is a struggle to walk. Should I still see a doctor?Also, how effective do you think KT tape is?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.Ice is preferred as it helps decrease the inflammation around the Achilles tendon and it's insertion.In acute presentation inflammation is an integral part of problem.You should see a doctor as your doctor would be best able to diagnose the condition as at times a partial rupture may be present. I do not have much faith in effectiveness of kinesiology tape.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thank you. Also, my ankle began to hurt a little bit, where the bone protrudes (on the left side of my left leg). What is the cause of this?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Pain of Achilles tendonitis can get referred to ankle and that is the likely cause.