Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

In a recent chest CT scan the report said I had "minor

Customer Question

In a recent chest CT scan the report said I had "minor thoracic spinal spondylosis". I do have some upper back pain that's been bothersome off and on lately. What is the prognosis for this and what kind of treatment is there? Can it be cured?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I am Dr. Sawhney an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
The underlying process of spondylosis is disc degeneration which is irreversible and therefore spondylosis cannot be cured.It can be controlled so that pain is reduced.
Main methods to control the condition is to follow good posture and have regular exercise including those to strengthen the muscles of back and abdomen.
Prognosis is good in that in most people pain due to spondylosis can be managed to an extent that it would be an occasional problem only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am 37. Is this young for this kind of thing? Could it have been from a physical injury? Can I prevent it from getting worse until I am very old?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
You are not too young to have these changes as these changes can start around the age of 30 or so.
These are changes of degeneration and are unlikely to be due to any injury.
These are gradually progressive but you mqy be able to slow down the pace of change by following good posture and doing regular exercise. Not smoking and decreasing weight if one is overweight also help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is this sort of thing life length limiting or debilitating eventually?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
No not really.
Most people will develop spondylosis to a lesser or greater extent with less or more pain during their lifetime without this being any disability to live their life.