DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

My son is 3. Behind his knee, aboit an inch down from his knee

Customer Question

My son is 3. Behind his knee, aboit an inch down from his knee crease, it looks and feels a little swollen or thick..only when his leg is straight and flexed. A relaxed leg doesn't show. There's no lump as i have massaged in and felt deep in there. It just feels and looks thick there like I said, when his leg is straight and flexed.
What could this be? Tight muscle kind of bulging?
If I try pulling the skin down, it kind of dimples right there.
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It's hard to see. It's easier to feel
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
This is likely a baker's cyst.
It is a cyst from the joint capsule.
I recommend he have an ultrasound of this area from his pediatrician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Could this be cancer?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no feelable lump. It's just like a flexed leg, that feels a little soft bulge there. It's not too noticeable
Wouldn't a bakers cyst go away on it's own? Would a tumor be a real lump
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
No it would not go away on its ownA tumor would be hard most likely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is quite scary. I was hoping this could just be muscle since it isn't feelable when his leg is relaxed
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I think it is benign but it needs looked at for sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'm freaking out now of course
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I think he is fine. Just please relax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. A tumor would be a soft tissue mass that would be a palpable lump?
I used lotion and felt deep into his leg. It doesn't feel like anythjng but normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When his leg is stiff, like on his tippy toes, and I hold it tight on his calf, I can feel a little swelling kinda. No lump or palpable mass. It's just like a muscle feeling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Like I said Michelle.
Likely a cyst.
I doubt cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wgat kind if cancer would a child have there behind his knee and above his calf??? And how does that typically present? Solid mass?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
kids get things like osteosarcoma or sarcoma However, these usually cause pain. I think it is just a cyst
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. An osteosarcoma is very rare under 5, I read that in a few places. And a sarcoma looks like it would be a hard mass or at least a lump of tissue that I could feel.
It's so high up above his calf that it's hard to believe it could be a tumor since they would usually be on the long bones, correct?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
that is correct.
I don't think it is a tumor at all
it would be very unusual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Bakers cyst seems possible! I didn't know children got them
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
yes that is what I have been saying all along! please don't forget a positive rating for me
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I notice your positive rating percentage is somewhat low
Do I need to answer further questions in order to earn a positive rating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I have been busy and missed this. I asked my nurse neighbor about my sons leg there. There isn't any swelling. It's just like a dimple at the upper calf right below the knee. Of you rub down over it. You feel the dimple but if you rub up toward the knee, you don't feel it. It isn't a lump underneath or bump. Just the dimple.
She said it's muscular.
So I guess I'll wait to bring him. He uses his right leg most.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, get it looked at for sure but like I said, it is probably a cyst
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a dimple a scary finding? You make me very nervous enforcing this to be looked at.
There is no lump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no swelling. It's just a tight muscle and the dimple if I pull the calf skin down. But if I pull it up, no dimple.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
No it is not scary per se It is really impossible to say for sure without an ultrasound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't a lump be palpable?!?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
yes, it would. most likely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this just be a tight muscle?
I mean no swelling, no lump, and isn't noticeable unless I kinda pull down on his calf, when I do that there's a little dimple. When I pull the skin up towards the knee. Smooth. No dimple. It's most noticeable when he's on his tippy toes.
No pain! Just something I noticed
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could be but it has been going on a long time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if it has. I just noticed it.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
bot***** *****ne is he needs an ultrasound. it has to be done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is scaring me. I have anxiety and this just makes it worse. Nothing is ever just easy and nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I ran to my uncle at Miami children's hospital. He is a pediatric cardiologist. His college examined my sons leg. He said it's a muscle variant.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Still needs an ultrasound
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Still needs an ultrasound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I will trust this qualified pediatric doctor. I don't appreciate your doubt. At all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My discharge paperwork says "worried well".
As usual, I go online and make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what to say. I have to give you the advice I believe us correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's confusing that you would press more testing after a pediatrician examined him at MCH. An in person doctor.I asked about an ultrasound. I said what you said on here and he said no. I won't over test this. It's nothing. It's normal and it's swelling, lump, or protruding not causing pain. This is his leg. And sent me on my way.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I feel better that a doctor looked at it but an ultrasound would be great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a change. I would definitly ensure that happens. Pain, swelling, or any change. I don't believe this is cancer in my sons leg. I don't appreciate you're pushing me in that direction of fear.This doctor is a very througouhh Indian pediatrician. He would have referred me if even a question. I believe he knew how serious I was as I went in the emergency and called my uncle to get in a doctors face in 15 minutes. You are really raising doubt and fear that this is a cancer hiding.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I'm telling you what I would recommend for my own patients.I don't consider that pushing but you are entitled to your view
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Are you concerned with the severity of this?Above you said this could be a bakers cyst. That it's dry unlikely to be anythjng sinister. I have severe health anxiety. I had a big loss recently. I honestly barely make it through a day without a panic attack. I went in today hoping for a good solid answer from a qualified pediatrician. And then I get this dark cloud following me around from you. With pushing for more testsIt's really sad. I use this site for 2nd opinion and generally they don't over ride a in person doctor.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that this matters to you because I know you want an ultrasound done
But when the doctor lightly lifts his skin on his leg. The dimple disappears and there is nothing palpable. He describes it to me like cellulite.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Ok. A pic would help